Happy One Year Home! (A Gift Guide For The Modern Farmhouse Gal)
Hey Modern Farmhouse Girl!
July 7 is coming up fast—my one-year anniversary of homeownership!
Flashback Friday: Opening up my front door for the first time with the keys to my first home!
This also means I have just 8 days to finish my painting projects! I have a stubborn goal to "finish" the condo in one year. I've just embarked on the last steps: re-vamping my pantry and downstairs coat closet...Next up: painting my laundry room, plus all four upstairs closets...and the trim on my sliding living room door...and the shelves in my upstairs bathroom...the countdown begins. Wish me luck!
Before I dive into a gift guide for the modern farmhouse gal—which will be FUN!—I just want to list off all the home improvements I've made in one year...with help from family, friends and experts in these fields:
July 2017-July 2018
- Fresh paint on all ceilings (thank you Dad!) and ALL walls (thank you family!)
- All new modern farmhouse style light fixtures—living room, dining room, bathrooms, hallways, front door and back door, plus new vent fans in bathrooms (credit: RVG Electric and Uncle Frank)
- New smoke detector system and GFC outlets to code (RVG Electric)
- New railing on the stairs to code (thanks Lucas!)
- New carpeting upstairs, both bedrooms, hallway, and down the stairs (Home Depot plus me: but that's another story...)
- New appliances: vent hood (kitchen), refrigerator, washing machine!, upstairs toilet (Home Depot/Lowe's)
- New sink and faucet in the kitchen; new faucets in the upstairs and downstairs bathroom sinks; new shower head for the shower
- New energy-efficient BOILER as of January 2018 (thank you so much, Matt Clow!)
- New insulation to code for my entire attic as of June 2018 (thank you Patriot Insulation!)
- Fresh paint and new knobs for all of my kitchen cabinets (a future blog post)
- New doorbell, new door knob, new screens for front and back doors
- New modern farmhouse style flooring in the upstairs bathroom and laundry room (Uncle Frank!)
- New shelving upstairs bathroom (Uncle Frank, you're a miracle worker! And now, as I like to say, I can offer The Uncle Frank Tour of my house.. As in: 'Uncle Frank fixed this, and that, and this, and that, oh and that too!' HA!)
- Fun decor added by yours truly: chalk wall, wallpaper feature wall, all new curtain rods and curtains on every window (+ check out my other blog posts and stay tuned for more to learn about the rest!)
I also want to give a major shout-out to my amazing realtor and now one of my good friends, Heather Morse of Greentree Real Estate. Without her, I don't know if I would have made it though buying a condo in foreclosure! After 3-4 months of no word from the sellers' lender, I was ready to walk away and look at new places...I'm glad we held on just a bit longer! About Heather: She specializes in first-time home buyers and has already helped some of my friends buy their first homes (!!!) She's also just an all-around amazing person with an impressive fixer-upper story herself (ask her about it!) and an adorable son. (I will never forget she was texting me home updates while in labor with him...and she literally went on a house showing days after giving birth. She is a rockstar!) Give Heather a call today if you are interested in talking Vermont houses--you won't regret it!
I also want to say thank you to my amazing lender, The National Bank of Middlebury and Beth Buckman over there. Beth, you rock!
OK, now for the GIFT GUIDE! I'm calling it "Happy One Year Home!" A gift guide (by me and for me... well, for my house, really) a.k.a. my home wish-list (?) that any Modern Farmhouse style-loving gal will love too. So, it's really for YOU Modern Farmhouse Gal.
Are you still with me? ;) I have the day off from work today and just drank way too many cups of coffee while writing.
HAPPY ONE YEAR HOME GIFT GUIDE
10 ideas for what to gift your modern farmhouse gal self
1. A jute or sisal rug.
The neutral tones will work beautifully with any modern farmhouse decor. I want a BIG ONE to layer under my current living room rug which is white and gray and fluffy, kind of like the below picture. This Kiwa Handwoven Jute Jagged Chevron rug is so pretty by RUGS USA (where I've bought rugs before that I love). Here's an image from Pinterest of #layeredrugGOALS:
2. A chandelier for the master bedroom.
I'm slightly obsessed with this Amelia Wood Bead ($500+) mod. farm. style one by Pottery Barn:
And actually, I've had my eye on this $300 chandelier which would fit my personal decor best from Pier One:
3. A KitchenAid stand mixer in Pistachio.
This is the classic wedding gift! But why not buy one for yourself if you're not married or engaged? I think I just might go for this one in my FAV color for a 27th birthday gift to self, coming up July 16:
4. A farmhouse backsplash for the kitchen.
I used to love the white subway tile look, especially in a chevron pattern, but I found this AMAZING pattern from this blogger I follow on Instagram. I MUST do this one instead! I love how unique it is and apparently inexpensive at the Home Depot.
5. An adorable utensil crock for your kitchen.
Love this one by Le Creuset:
6. A stock tank swimming pool for the backyard.
Though I definitely wouldn't be allowed this in my condo (next house?) I'm loving the look of them. Check out this story by one of my favorite mags, Country Living:
Plus, you need an amazing unicorn floatie for your pool! ($15 at Walmart)
7. Serving trays.
For easier grilling. And when you're hosting my favorite meal: brunch! Of COURSE I love these by Joanna for Hearth & Hand with Magnolia at Target:
Also, $6.99 for 3 trays? Yes, please.
8. A cow-hide bag or wristlet from one of my favorite Vermont makers: Ma & Pembum.
How fabulous would these look displayed on a modern farmhouse hook when you walk in your front door? Plus they give the modern farmhouse gal REAL farmhouse style while she's out and about. Am I right?!
9. A farmhouse coffee table.
I use a cool antique trunk that I got at Brimfield one year as a coffee table, but I'm considering moving that upstairs and investing in a modern farmhouse style coffee table. Like this one WOAHHH. You gotta have one with a bottom shelf for your magazines, because I know you ladies love magazines for home decor inspo! (My go-tos: The Magnolia Journal, Country Living, Better Homes & Gardens, HGTV Magazine and Real Simple.)
10. A Laundry Room Sign.
Signs are part of the modern farmhouse decor look, and you need a laundry room sign! Where better to get one than from Magnolia Homes? Yes, Joanna!
P.S. I'm on Pinterest if you want to follow my blog board + other boards!